Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®)

Create FSA ID prior to filing the FAFSA®. If you are considered a dependent student for financial aid purposes, one of your parents must create a FSA ID. It is highly recommended that students (and their parents) use the FAFSA IRS Data Retrieval Tool.

To complete your FAFSA application, you will need information listed below: 

  • Your Social Security Number 
  • Your parents’ Social Security Numbers if you are a dependent student
  • Your Driver’s License Number if you have one
  • Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a U.S. citizen
  • Federal tax information, tax documents, or tax returns, including IRS W-2 information, for you (and your spouse, if you are married), and for your parents if you are a dependent student:
    • IRS Form1040
    • Foreign tax return or IRS Form 1040-NR
    • Tax return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or Palau
  • Records of your untaxed income, such as child support received, interest income, and veterans noneducation benefits, for you, and for your parents if you are a dependent student
  • Information on cash; savings and checking account balances; investments, including stocks and bonds and real estate (but not including the home in which you live); and business and farm assets for you and for your parents if you are a dependent student

For more information, visit

GIA Federal School Code for Carlsbad and New York Campuses: 015765