Graduate Gemologist® Program
One of the most prestigious credentials in the industry, the GIA Graduate Gemologist® program gives you the comprehensive knowledge of diamonds and colored stones you need to succeed anywhere in the jewelry business. You’ll gain both technical expertise and practical skills to evaluate gemstones by the 4Cs (color, clarity, cut, and carat weight), the International Diamond Grading System™, and the Colored Stone Grading System.
What You'll Learn
- Develop in-depth, hands-on experience with the GIA International Diamond Grading System™ and the 4Cs (color, clarity, cut and carat weight)
- Grade diamonds in the D-to-Z color range
- Build a knowledge base about colored stones and the colored stone market
- Use gemological equipment effectively to identify gemstones
- Use the GIA Colored Stone Grading System to evaluate gemstone quality
- Identify gemstone characteristics, simulants and treatments, and recognize when advanced testing is required
- Understand how gems are mined, fashioned and brought to the marketplace
- Recognize how quality, rarity and color affect value
- Determine how market factors affect gem value
Possible Career Paths
- Auction House Jewelry Specialist
- Colored Stone Buyer
- Diamond Buyer
- Diamond Sorter/Grader
- Estate Jewelry Dealer
- Inventory Control Specialist
- Jewelry Business Owner
- Jewelry Buyer
- Lab and Research Professional
- Sales Associate
Here are some of the topics covered in the Graduate Gemologist® diploma program.
Judge and grade diamonds by the 4Cs and color.
Learn the characteristics of colored stones, with a focus on ruby, sapphire, and emerald.
Identify more than 60 species of gemstones, distinguish natural from laboratory-grown gems, and detect gem treatments.
Learn diamond identification and grading skills GIA graders use.
Identify gemstones that have been laboratory-grown, treated or are imitations.
Understand how market factors and the supply chain affect value.
SELECT A CAMPUS AND LEARN MORE
STUDY AT THE GIA SCHOOL On campus, full-time learning
Immerse yourself in the world of gems and jewelry and earn your Graduate Gemologist® diploma by studying at a GIA campus. This transformative program opens up a world of opportunity.Offered at the following campuses
Distance Education ONLINE ELEARNING CLASSES + HANDS-ON LAB CLASSES
Complete five eLearning courses and three on-campus lab classes to earn your Graduate Gemologist diploma. It’s the same prestigious diploma completed at a pace that suits your life.
English language eLearning courses are offered through the Carlsbad campus.