GIA Team Documents the Chinese Gem and Jewelry Industry
November 18, 2013
The team, led by Gems and Gemology’s (G&G) technical editor Dr. Tao Hsu who is originally from Beijing, wanted to tell the story of the Chinese industry from an insider’s perspective. Andrew Lucas, manager of Field Gemology; Pedro Padua, video producer; and Eric Welch, photo editor, joined her.
They launched their project at the business gateway to mainland China: the annual June Hong Kong Gem and Jewellery Fair. After the show, they traveled to seven cities ‒ Shenzhen, Panyu, Sihui, Pingzhou, Guangzhou, Shanghai and Beijing ‒ to visit factories, trading centers, trade organizations, government agencies and retail stores. They documented these visits with interviews, videos and photos.
The team will present a series of field reports and G&G articles on what they found including:
- an overview of the Chinese gem and jewelry industry
- how jewelry designers are inspired and how they market their designs
- an in-depth look at the jade industry
- a visit to one of the world’s leading diamond cutting, colored gemstone cutting and jewelry manufacturing centers and how they work
- the explosion of the Chinese consumer market
Many of the field reports and G&G articles will also include video footage that takes the viewer on tours through factories, trading centers, trade organizations and retail stores. They’ll also get an up-close look at state-of-the-art manufacturing, jade carving, robust trading and the thriving market.
Readers will be able to download the field reports and G&G articles in English and Mandarin. This will be the first time G&G articles will be available in a language other than English.