Graduate Gemologist Program
The most prestigious credential in the industry, the GIA Graduate Gemologist program gives you the comprehensive knowledge of diamonds and colored stones you need to succeed anywhere in the jewelry business. You’ll gain both technical expertise and practical skills to evaluate gemstones by the 4Cs (color, clarity, cut, and carat weight), the International Diamond Grading System™, and the Colored Stone Grading System.
What You'll Learn
- Develop hands-on experience with the GIA International Diamond Grading System™ and the 4Cs (color, clarity, cut, and carat weight); and appreciate how they affect diamond value
- Grade diamonds in the D-to-Z color range consistently and accurately
- Use gemological equipment and procedures to identify and grade hundreds of gemstones
- Identify gemstone characteristics, simulants, and treatments, and anticipate when advanced testing is required
- Use technical knowledge for effective sales and excellent service
- Discover how gemstones go from formation to the retail counter
Possible Career Paths
- Auction House Jewelry Specialist
- Estate Jewelry Dealer
- Jewelry Business Owner
- Lab and Research Professional
- Retail Sales
Here are some of the topics covered in the Graduate Gemologist diploma program.
Diamonds and Diamond Grading
Judge and grade diamonds by the 4Cs and color.
COLORED STONES & COLORED STONE GRADING
Learn the characteristics of colored stones, with a focus on ruby, sapphire, and emerald.
Identify more than 60 species of gemstones, distinguish natural gems from synthetics, and detect gem treatments.
EQUIPMENT & INSTRUMENTATION
Learn diamond identification and grading skills GIA graders use.
TREATMENTS, SYNTHETICS & IMITATIONS
Identify diamonds that have been treated or are imitations.
MARKETS & SUPPLY CHAINS
Understand how market factors and the supply chain affect value.
TWO WAYS TO LEARN
GIA offers two learning methods to suit your needs.
Immerse yourself in the world of gems and jewelry and earn your Graduate Gemologist diploma by studying on a GIA campus. This transformative program opens up a world of opportunity.