Whether you choose to ship your items directly to us, or drop them off in person, here are a few tips to help ensure the quick return of your items.
View submission criteria for reports and services based on the gem material:
While you may submit anything to any GIA laboratory location for grading or identification services, there may be some limitations on the size and types of material that are serviced at that facility, and your items may be shipped to another location for service. Please refer to specific locations for details. Note that additional taxes/fees may apply, including local taxes, depending on the country where your items are submitted.
What you will need:
- In order to submit materials to GIA, you will need to open a Laboratory Service account. The application process is completely online and takes only a few steps.
- During the application process, you will be asked to sign the GIA Laboratory Client Agreement. If you are not authorized to sign on your company’s behalf, you may forward the agreement link to someone with signing authority. We recommend that you familiarize yourself with the terms of the client agreement before signing.
- Once the client agreement is signed and you have submitted your online application, you will receive a client number via email. You can now submit stones to the lab.
- If you are submitting full rough diamonds or partially polished rough diamonds, please read this important notice regarding Kimberley Process requirements.
- Your items placed in individual parcel papers or other suitable containers.
- Parcel papers must include shape and weight. You may also include your internal identification or lot number. Parcel papers may not include company name, initials, logos, phone, fax, email, website, or any other information that identifies you as the client or refers to grading information.
- A memo or pro-forma invoice of submitted items including weight, shape, value and service requested, on company letterhead (if applicable).
- You are required to disclose if you know, suspect or are unsure that the material has undergone treatment or is a product of gem synthesis. To learn more, click here.
- Your GIA Client Number which you will receive once you open a laboratory account.
- If shipping, please provide return shipment information, including address, telephone number, insurance requirements, estimated declared values, and return method.
- If you are picking up or dropping off items in person, please bring photo identification and, if applicable, trade identification (business card or letter) authorizing use of the account.
Please feel free to contact us at any time if you have questions or need assistance.