GIA Website User Agreement and Disclaimer NoticeLast updated December 22, 2015
Disclaimer of Warranty
Gemological Information Disclaimer
Linking to GIA
Use of Material on the GIA Website
GIA Social Media Code of Conduct
GIA Control of Website
Copyrights and Trademark Notices
Licenses and Idea Submissions
Limitation of Liability
This website with its home page in the domain "gia.edu" (the "website") is a complimentary information service offered by the Gemological Institute of America, Inc. ("GIA") at no charge to users of the internet, with the express condition that these users agree to be bound by the terms and conditions set forth in this User Agreement. GIA reserves the right to change these terms and conditions any time. You must consult the most recent version of this User Agreement (not an older cached version) each time you view the website. Access to and use of this website is provided subject to these terms and conditions. PLEASE READ THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS CAREFULLY AS USE OF THIS SITE CONSTITUTES ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
You acknowledge that the services, information or data (collectively, "Information") on the website is provided "As Is" for general information only. GIA makes no warranties of any kind regarding this website, including, but not limited to, any warranty of accuracy, completeness, currency, reliability, implied merchantability or implied fitness for a particular purpose, or any warranty that these pages, or the server that makes them available, are free of viruses or other harmful elements. GIA makes no warranty, representation or guaranty that the Information may be relied on for any reason, that the Information will be uninterrupted or error-free or that any defects can be corrected. All warranties, including the implied warranty of merchantability, non-infringement and implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose are hereby expressly disclaimed. GIA shall have absolutely no liability in connection with the Information including without limitation, any liability for damage to your computer hardware, data, information, materials and business resulting from information or lack of information on the GIA website. You agree GIA shall have no liability for: (1) any loss or injury caused, in whole or in part, by its actions, omissions or negligence or for contingencies beyond its control, in procuring, compiling or delivering the Information; (2) any errors, omissions or inaccuracies in the Information regardless of how caused, or delays or interruptions in delivery of the Information; or (3) any decision made or taken or not taken in reliance upon the Information.
You agree that you will hold harmless GIA and its governors, officers, directors, and employees from all claims arising out of or related to your access or use of, or your inability to access or use, this website or the Information contained in this website or other websites to which it is linked, including but not limited to claims that you have found something you have heard, viewed or downloaded from this website or another website to which it is linked to be obscene, offensive, defamatory, or infringing upon your intellectual property rights. In no event will GIA or the contributors of Information to this website be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken by you in reliance on such Information or for any consequential, special or similar damages, even if GIA or the contributors of Information are advised of the possibility of such damages.
You acknowledge that opinions and recommendations contained in this website are not necessarily those of the GIA or endorsed by GIA.
The Information provided in or made available through the GIA website (including, but not limited to, message boards, text files, chat rooms or social media), is not intended to replace the services of a trained jeweler or gemologist regarding analysis or appraisal of any particular gem or jewelry item or to be a substitute for their advice regarding gem value or other commercial evaluation. The user is advised to consult with a trained jeweler or gemologist prior to purchasing any particular gem or piece of jewelry.
You may provide a link to this website on another website, provided you agree to the Link conditions described below. By establishing a link to a GIA website you agree to these conditions:
- that the link consists of a hypertext link or a link using link buttons with image and text supplied by GIA;
- that you acknowledge that GIA may modify images and text at any time;
- that except for a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, royalty-free license to use the link buttons on your website solely for the purpose of providing a hyperlink to GIA's website, you acknowledge and agree that (i) GIA's trademarks, name and linking buttons, including, but not limited to, the familiar "GIA" mark and "GIA trio logo" (collectively, the "Marks"), GIA's website and its contents are and shall remain the sole property of GIA, (ii) nothing in these conditions shall give you any right of ownership in the Marks, link buttons or GIA's website; (iii) you shall not now or in the future contest the validity of the Marks; and (iv) you shall not take any action that would impair the value or goodwill associated with the Marks, link buttons or GIA's image or reputation; (v) you shall not use the link buttons in any way that might be misleading;
- that you will not use the link or link buttons to disparage GIA and its services;
- that the appearance, position and other aspects of the link buttons may not be such as to misrepresent your relationship with GIA, or present false or misleading impressions about GIA or its services;
- that the appearance, position and other aspects of the link buttons may not create the false appearance that you or any non-GIA entity or any non-GIA product or service is associated with, or endorsed, or sponsored by GIA;
- that the link, when activated by a user, must display this website full-screen and not with a "frame" on the linked website or with other techniques which alter the visual presentation or content of GIA's website, such as the imposition of browser windows or third party content;
- that the link buttons may only be used on your website, and not for any other purpose including, but not limited to promotion, advertising or publicity for your website;
- that the link buttons must be displayed adjacent to a reference to GIA or at the bottom of that same page;
- that you may not alter or change the link buttons in any way, including color, size, proportions, etc. or animate or change perspective;
- that you may not deviate or edit any of the technical code that accompanies the buttons;
- that the linking website may not contain materials that may be interpreted as distasteful or offensive and should be appropriate for all age groups;
- that GIA has the right to terminate this Agreement with or without cause at any time, and may amend this Agreement without notice at any time;
- that you agree to defend, indemnify and hold GIA, its trustees, officers, employees and agents from and against any claims, demands, damages, causes of action, loss or judgments arising from your breach of this Agreement or your link to GIA's website.
YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT THE USE OF GIA's MATERIALS, MARKS, LINK BUTTONS AND WEBSITE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. GIA DOES NOT WARRANT THAT ITS SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE. GIA PROVIDES THIS ACCESS "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. GIA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, IMPLIED WARRANTY OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND WARRANTY OF NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT WILL GIA BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF PROFIT, LOSS OF DATA, LOSS OF BUSINESS OR OTHER LOSS ARISING OUT OF OR RESULTING FROM THIS AGREEMENT OR THE USE OF ANY OF THE MATERIALS, MARKS, OR LINK BUTTONS UNDER THIS AGREEMENT OR ACCESS TO ANY OF THE SERVICES DESCRIBED IN THIS AGREEMENT EVEN IF GIA HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THE FOREGOING SHALL APPLY REGARDLESS OF THE NEGLIGENCE OF GIA AND REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH LIABILITY IS FOUND IN CONTRACTS, NEGLIGENCE, TORT OR ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY.
GIA reserves the right to revoke its consent to a link at any time in its sole discretion by amending these Link Conditions.
You agree that any dispute arising out of or relating to these Terms or any content posted to the GIA website including copies and republication thereof, whether based in contract, tort, statutory or other law, will be governed by the laws of the State of California, excluding its conflicts of law provisions. You further consent to the personal jurisdiction of and exclusive venue in the federal and state courts located in and serving SAN DIEGO County, California as the legal forum for any such dispute.
By establishing a link to the GIA website, either with a link button or text, you agree to these Link conditions. The link buttons can be downloaded here.
GIA owns the compilation of content that is posted on the GIA Websites, which consists of text, images, audio, video, databases, design, codes and software (“Content”). However, it may not necessarily own each component of the compilation. Some Content may be owned by others and used with their permission (such as user-generated content), or used in accordance with applicable law. Some Content is in the public domain and some Content is protected by third party rights, such as copyright, trademark, rights of publicity, privacy and contractual restrictions.
GIA may provide the copyright status of the Content and identify any other terms and conditions that may apply to use of the Content (such as trademark, rights of privacy or publicity, other restrictions, etc.). However, GIA can offer no guarantee or assurance that all pertinent information is provided or that the information is correct in each circumstance. It is your responsibility to determine what permission(s) you need in order to use the Content and, if necessary, to obtain such permission.
If you have specific questions or information about Content on the GIA Websites, please contact us.
PERMITTED USE FOR NON-COMMERCIAL PURPOSE
GIA’s mission includes educating the global community on topics related to gems and jewelry and the Institute encourages fair use of its Content to support that mission. You may use the text, images, videos and illustrations on our websites for personal, educational and other non-Commercial Use, as long as you:
- Cite the author and source of the Content as you would material from any printed work.
- Cite and link to, when possible, the GIA Website as the source of the Content.
- Do not remove any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary notices including attribution information, credits and notices, that are placed in or near the text, images, or data.
- Comply with all terms or restrictions (such as trademark, publicity and privacy rights, or contractual restrictions) as may be specified in the metadata or as may otherwise apply to the Content.
- Do not use the Content for specifically prohibited activities which include, but are not limited to: (1) activities that are illegal or fraudulent; (2) use that inaccurately implies endorsement, approval, or sponsorship by GIA (or by any individual officer or employee of GIA); (3) use that can be confused with official communications of GIA or its officers or employees; and (4) print or electronic mass mailings (sometimes known as "spamming"), solicitations for commercial services, or cold-calling.
You are responsible for determining whether your use is fair and for responding to any claims that may arise from your use. Information on United States copyright law, including fair use guidelines is available from the United States Copyright Office: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html.
USE FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSE
Commercial Use is defined as the sale of any materials, products and services that derive from or incorporate the Content, as well as the use of the Content for promotion or advertising. If you wish to use the Content for any purpose other than those permitted above, such as a Commercial Use or publication (except as may be permitted by fair use under the copyright law), please obtain prior written permission from GIA (and/or other owner of the Content as applicable).
GIA RESERVES THE RIGHT TO DETERMINE WHETHER THE USE OF ANY CONTENT IS COMMERCIAL AND/OR APPROPRIATE, AND MAY REVOKE USAGE RIGHTS AT ANY TIME IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION.
Certain Content may be prohibited for use or reproduction in any form without explicit permission and when a statement, such as the following, appears in conjunction with an image, any and all requests for use should be made by contacting GIA directly for permission:
“©[year] GIA This video or image is protected intellectual property and may not be used or reproduced, in whole or in part, without the express, written permission of GIA and other parties as applicable.”
Contact us with your permission request or other inquiries, including requests for higher quality formats, such as high resolution digital images.
The Gemological Institute of America (GIA) social media pages are for the personal use of website visitors and may not be used in connection with any third-party commercial endeavors. Any use that, in GIA’s sole opinion, constitutes illegal and/or unauthorized use of the GIA social media pages, including posting offers or information of a commercial nature, collecting usernames and/or email addresses of visitors by electronic or other means for the purpose of sending unsolicited email, or unauthorized framing of or linking to the GIA website is strictly prohibited. You are solely responsible for your interactions with others on GIA social media pages. GIA reserves the right, but has no obligation, to monitor disputes between you and other users. Under no circumstances shall GIA be held liable or responsible for the actions of third parties on any GIA social media page. Commercial advertisements, affiliate links, and other forms of solicitation may be removed from posts, comments, or conversations without notice. Appropriate legal action may be taken for any illegal or unauthorized use of any information on or associated with GIA social media pages. GIA reserves the right to remove any posting or comment (including private messages) by you, or to restrict, suspend, or terminate your access to all or any part of the GIA pages at any time, with or without prior notice, and without liability. The following is a partial list of content that is illegal or prohibited to post on or through GIA social media pages. GIA reserves the right to take appropriate legal action against anyone who, in GIA's sole discretion, violates this provision. This may include removing the offending communication and terminating access of such violators. Prohibited or illegal content includes, but is not limited to content that:
- promotes information that is false, misleading or promotes illegal activities or conduct that is abusive, threatening, obscene, defamatory or libelous;
- solicits personal information from anyone under 18;
- contains restricted or password-only access pages or images;
- harasses or advocates harassment of another person, exploits people in a sexual or violent manner, or promotes racism, hatred or physical harm toward any individual or group;
- contains nudity, violence, or offensive subject matter or links to an adult website;
- promotes any criminal activity or provides instructional information about activities such as, but not limited to, violating someone's privacy, transmitting or creating computer viruses, or making or buying illegal weapons;
solicits passwords or personal identifying information for commercial or illegal use;
involves fraud, obscene material, child pornography, drug dealing, gambling, harassment, or sending of viruses or other harmful files;
- includes advertising to, or solicitation of, any user to buy or sell any products or services through GIA social media pages.
GIA does not endorse any specific commercial product or company mentioned on the GIA website or any commercial product or company linked to this website.
This website (excluding linked sites) is controlled by GIA which is headquartered in the State of California, United States of America. It can be accessed from all 50 states, as well as from other countries around the world. As each of these places has laws that may differ from those of California, by accessing this website both you and GIA agree that the statutes and laws of the State of California, without regard to conflicts of laws principles thereof, will apply to all matters arising from or relating to use of this website. You and the Gemological Institute of America also agree and hereby submit to the exclusive personal jurisdiction and venue of the Superior Court of San Diego County, California, and the United States District Court for the Southern District of California with respect to such matters. GIA makes no representation that materials on the website are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and accessing them from territories where their contents are illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access this website from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws.
For purposes of disclaimer, GIA shall include Gemological Institute of America, its governors, officers, subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, employees and any third party providers or sources of information or data.
Copyright © 2015 GIA. All rights reserved. GIA, Gemological Institute of America, the GIA seal, Facetware, GIA Diamond Dossier and the GIA Trio logo are registered trademarks of GIA. For complete information, see Copyrights and Trademarks.
You agree to grant to the GIA website a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual license, with the right to sublicense, to reproduce, distribute, transmit, create derivative works of, publicly display and publicly perform any materials and other information (including, without limitation, ideas contained therein for new or improved products or services) you submit to public areas of the GIA website by all means and in any media now known or hereafter developed. You hereby waive your moral rights in any such materials and information, and you hereby warrant that any such materials and information are original with you, or that you have the right to submit such materials and information. You agree that you shall have no recourse against GIA for any alleged or actual infringement or misappropriation of any proprietary right in your communication to us.
Under no circumstances shall GIA be liable for any losses or damages whatsoever, whether in contract, tort or otherwise, from the use of, or reliance on, the Information or from the use of the internet generally.
© 2002-2016 Gemological Institute of America, Inc.