Graduate Gemmologist Programme
The most prestigious credential in the industry, the GIA Graduate Gemmologist programme gives you the comprehensive knowledge of diamonds and coloured stones you need to succeed anywhere in the jewellery business. You’ll gain both technical expertise and practical skills to evaluate gemstones by the 4Cs (colour, clarity, cut, and carat weight), the International Diamond Grading System™ and the Coloured Stone Grading System.
What You'll Learn
- Develop hands-on experience with the GIA International Diamond Grading System™ and the 4Cs (colour, clarity, cut and carat weight); and appreciate how they affect diamond value
- Grade diamonds in the D-to-Z colour range consistently and accurately
- Use gemmological equipment and procedures to identify and grade hundreds of gemstones
- Identify gemstone characteristics, simulants and treatments, and anticipate when advanced testing is required
- Use technical knowledge for effective sales and excellent service
- Discover how gemstones go from formation to the retail counter
Possible Career Paths
- Auction House Jewellery Specialist
- Estate Jewellery Dealer
- Jewellery Business Owner
- Lab and Research Professional
- Retail Sales
Here are some of the topics covered in the Graduate Gemmologist diploma programme.
DIAMONDS & DIAMOND GRADING
Judge and grade diamonds by the 4Cs and colour.
COLOURED STONES & COLOURED STONE GRADING
Learn about the characteristics of coloured stones, with a focus on ruby, sapphire and emerald. Understand how shifting supply patterns affect gem prices and availability.
Identify more than 60 species of gemstones, distinguish natural gems from synthetics and detect gem treatments.
EQUIPMENT & INSTRUMENTATION
Learn about diamond identification and the grading skills GIA graders use.
TREATMENTS, SYNTHETICS & IMITATIONS
Identify diamonds that have been treated or are imitations.
MARKETS & SUPPLY CHAINS
Understand how market factors and the supply chain affect value.
SELECT A CAMPUS AND FIND OUT MORE
Immerse yourself in the world of gems and jewellery and earn your Graduate Gemologist diploma by studying at a GIA campus. This transformative programme opens up a world of opportunity.