Graduate Jeweler Program
Sign up for updates on the revised GIA Graduate Jeweler program.
Graduate Jeweler diploma program is a hands-on learning experience that prepares you for a career as a bench jeweler, and covers skills valuable for jewelry designers, CAD modelers, and sales professionals. You will work with gemstones and precious metals, taking projects from castings to finished, set, and polished pieces.
What You'll Learn
- Use laser-welding technology for gold, silver and platinum
- Develop essential skills, including polishing, filing, texturing, sawing, fabrication and forging techniques, stone setting and general torch skills
- Set a variety of stone shapes, including princess-cut stones, in mounting styles such as channel setting, bezel setting, and prong setting, in base metals, silver, white gold, yellow gold and platinum
- Perform the most common jewelry repairs, including sizing rings, replacing prongs, repairing broken chains and installing new settings
- Apply both textured and polished finishes to jewelry surfaces on a variety of metals
- Evaluate and improve workmanship using GIA Quality Assurance Benchmarks
Possible Career Paths
- Bench Jeweler
- Business Owner
- Custom Order Jeweler
- Jewelry Repair Technician
- Manufacturing Executive
- Jewelry Buyer
- Quality Assurance Specialist
- Stone Setter
Here are some of the topics covered in the Graduate Jeweler program.
Learn how to use tools to repair jewelry.
Learn the basics of metal working: soldering, finishing, and more.
Develop skills for fabrication, custom order, and repair.
Learn how to spot manufacturing defects and what causes them.
Learn techniques for multiple stone setting shapes and styles.
Graduate Jeweler Tour Hands-On Bench Experience
Offered at GIA World Headquarters and The Robert Mouawad Campus in Carlsbad, CA.
Study at the GIA School On campus, full-time learning
Immerse yourself in the world of gems and jewelry and earn your Graduate Jeweler diploma by studying at a GIA campus. This transformative program opens up a world of opportunity.Offered at the following campuses