To address concerns about laboratory-grown and treated diamonds being mixed into parcels of melee, GIA has developed an automated system to analyse and sort melee-size diamonds quickly and accurately.
The GIA Melee Analysis Service separates natural diamonds from simulants, laboratory-grown and HPHT treated natural diamonds, and sorts the screened diamonds by colour range. Clients can also specify a size range for their parcel. Once sorted, the melee will be sealed in secure packaging for shipment back to the submitting client.
- Separates natural diamonds from simulants, laboratory-grown and HPHT treated natural diamonds
- Sorts natural, untreated diamonds by colour range
- Screens 1,800 to 2,000 stones per hour
- Secure packaging
- Melee 0.9 to 4.0mm (approx. 0.005 to 0.25 ct.)
- D-to-Z diamonds
- Round shape only
- Minimum submission quantity - 250 stones per parcel
- Items must be thoroughly cleaned prior to submission
Each result type will be delivered in a separate, secure package:
- Outside of Service Criteria - The contents of this package are either outside requested sorting diameter range or not round in shape
- Simulant - The contents of this package have been determined to not be diamond and are simulants.
- Laboratory-Grown - The contents of this package have been identified as laboratory-grown diamonds.
- HPHT-Treated Natural - The contents of this package have been identified as HPHT-treated natural diamonds.
- Colour Sorting Options for natural diamonds
- D-to-F, G-to-H, I-to-J, K-to-Z*
- D-to-G, H-to-I, J-to-K, L-to-Z
- D-to-F, G-to-I, J-to-L, M-to-Z
- No Colour Sorting