Jewelry Design & Technology Programme
The Jewelry Design & Technology diploma programme covers topics essential to becoming a jewellery designer and CAD (computer-aided design) technician, including designing a piece of jewellery from a concept, creating it in CAD to engineering specifications and understanding the challenges that come with its manufacturing.
What You'll Learn
- Use fundamental design concepts, including texture, shape, form, balance, negative space, colour and more
- Learn digital hand-rendering using Sketchbook software
- Create, render and prototype designs using Rhinoceros and ZBrush CAD software, and CAM hardware like a 3D printer
- Apply the CAD model engineering concepts to make durable and comfortable pieces that are long lasting
- Understand the manufacturing processes for the creation of jewellery, such as diestriking and casting
- Design and develop CAD models using the metrics of scale, proportion and element relationships; and within the constraints of cost, time, size, style and manufacturing methods
- Develop digital and physical portfolios of class projects and custom designs that are ready for presentation to potential clients and employers, and display work in a final design exhibition
Possible Career Paths
- CAD Designer
- Jewellery Designer
- CAM Operator
- Product Developer
- Quality Assurance Specialist
- CAD/CAM Service Bureau Technician
Here are some of the skills you’ll learn.
Model jewellery in 3D using CAD software.
Create photorealistic images of your 3D designs.
Learn to operate prototyping equipment. Know what affects CAD designs.
Explore theory and techniques to inspire your jewellery designs.
Apply CAD engineering parameters to create jewellery that is built to last.
Use ZBrush to create a hand-sculpted look to your jewelry designs.
Jewelry Design & Technology Tour The Future of Design Lives Here
Available in Carlsbad and New York.
STUDY AT THE GIA SCHOOL On campus, full-time learning
Immerse yourself in the world of gems and jewellery and earn your Jewelry Design & Technology diploma by studying at a GIA campus. This transformative programme opens up a world of opportunity.Offered at the following campuses