Graduate Gemologist® Programme
One of the most prestigious qualification in the industry, the GIA Graduate Gemologist® programme gives you the comprehensive knowledge of diamonds and coloured stones you need to succeed anywhere in the jewellery business. You’ll gain both technical expertise and practical skills to evaluate gemstones by the 4Cs (colour, clarity, cut, and carat weight), the International Diamond Grading System™ and the Coloured Stone Grading System.
What You'll Learn
- Develop in-depth, hands-on experience with the GIA International Diamond Grading System™ and the 4Cs (colour, clarity, cut and carat weight)
- Grade diamonds in the D-to-Z colour range
- Build a knowledge base about coloured stones and the coloured stone market
- Use gemmological equipment effectively to identify gemstones
- Use the GIA Coloured Stone Grading System to evaluate gemstone quality
- Identify gemstone characteristics, simulants and treatments, and recognise when advanced testing is required
- Understand how gems are mined, fashioned and brought to the marketplace
- Recognise how quality, rarity and colour affect value
- Determine how market factors affect gem value
Possible Career Paths
- Auction House Jewellery Specialist
- Coloured Stone Buyer
- Diamond Buyer
- Diamond Sorter/Grader
- Estate Jewellery Dealer
- Stock Control Specialist
- Jewellery Business Owner
- Jewellery Buyer
- Lab and Research Professional
- Sales Associate
Here are some of the topics covered in the Graduate Gemologist® diploma programme.
Judge and grade diamonds by the 4Cs and colour.
Learn about the characteristics of coloured stones, with a focus on ruby, sapphire and emerald.
Identify more than 60 species of gemstones, distinguish natural from laboratory-grown gems, and detect gem treatments.
Learn about diamond identification and the grading skills GIA graders use.
Identify gemstones that have been laboratory-grown, treated or are imitations.
Understand how market factors and the supply chain affect value.
SELECT A CAMPUS AND FIND OUT MORE
STUDY AT THE GIA SCHOOL On campus, full-time learning
Immerse yourself in the world of gems and jewellery and earn your Graduate Gemologist® diploma by studying at a GIA campus. This transformative programme opens up a world of opportunity.Offered at the following campuses
Distance Education ONLINE ELEARNING CLASSES + HANDS-ON LAB CLASSES
Complete five eLearning courses and three on-campus lab classes to earn your Graduate Gemologist diploma. It’s the same prestigious diploma completed at a pace that suits your life.
English language eLearning courses are offered through the Carlsbad campus.